“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world: indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.“Margaret Mead
These are not just words. This is what we’re about, and it’s what we truly believe!
In less than two weeks, we’ll be heading to the shelter again to provide much-needed services, supplies and support. You can get involved in so many ways!
One way is by donating specific supplies. Here are some immediate needs of the individuals and families staying at the shelter:
- Cell phones and calling cards
- Mobile batteries (to charge said cell phones)
- Non-perishable foods
- Clothing (including business casual clothing for court appearances)
- Outerwear (not for snow, but it gets very cold in the desert)
- Blankets & pillows
- Shoes (layerable for all seasons and conditions, as many are in transition)
- Wool socks (as they’re water and weather resistant)
- Sterno cans, camping stoves and/or backpacking stoves, and fuel
- Sleeping bags and tents (for when they are in transition)
- Personal hygiene items (i.e. shampoo, soap, hair brushes, shower wipes)
Other items that are greatly appreciated are anything to lighten up the lives of these individuals and families – like toys for the kids, electronics for the teenagers, and any kind of comfort items for the adults (i.e. coffee, hand warmers, portable lights, etc).
We know that these individuals and families will only be at the shelter temporarily – so in donating, consider items that are portable, and that can be helpful for those living without consistent access to shelter.
Have any special skills off certifications? On January 11th, we’re going to offer medicine and medical services to migrants seeking asylum. We’re looking for volunteers to offer these invaluable services at no charge:
- Medical care (bilingual in Spanish, preferably)
- Dental and vision care (bilingual in Spanish, preferably)
- Legal counsel (bilingual in Spanish, preferably)
Interested in donating other skills or talents on January 11th? Reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll work something out.
Monetary donations are always appreciated. You can donate online for general contributions via PayPal here.
If you want to stay up-to-date on what Manos a Manos is doing, and how you can help, be sure to subscribe to our e-mail list and follow our page on Facebook.